News & Publications
COVID-19 Communication Resources
FHCA has compiled a collection of resources to assist long term care facilities with communicating during the COVID-19 public health emergency. Check back often; we will continue to add to these resources.
Communicating in a Crisis: Lessons for COVID-19
The escalation of COVID-19 is a crisis unlike any that long term care facilities have experienced. In this webinar, Kristen Knapp, FHCA Director of Communications, discussed some of the key aspects of how to approach COVID-19 crisis management, including identifying your key stakeholders and communication channels. Best practices for communicating with residents, family members and staff was also covered, along with managing the media and common mistakes to avoid. Opportunities for highlighting positive messages through traditional and social media were also addressed.
Kristen Knapp, APR, CAE, is Director of Communications for Florida Health Care Association, where her responsibilities include managing the Association’s strategic communications, media relations, public affairs and social media presence. She has more than 30 years' experience in public relations in the health care/social services sector. Knapp is a Certified Association Executive, is Accredited in Public Relations and is a past Capital Chapter president and state executive board member for the Florida Public Relations Association.
- 10 Communications Tips to Break Through the Coronavirus Crisis
- FHCA Message Toolkit (Media Statement, Family Letter, Employee Talk Points)
- Sample Letter to Families RE: Confirmed Case
- Sample Letter to Residents & Families RE: Visitation
- Sample Letter to Employees
- FHCA COVID-19 Quick Points (March 2020)
- Checklist for Communicating with Media During Crisis
- Guide: Emergency Preparedness Requires a Communications Plan
- CDC Communication Resources
- CDC Infographics
FHCA Media Relations Activity
- FHCA Announces Hearts and Hands Program: Personal Care Attendants in Nursing Homes (April 1, 2020)
- FHCA Statement on Universal Face Mask Directive for Nursing Homes and ALFs (Mar. 18, 2020)
- FHCA Statement on Governor Executive Order Regarding Visitation in Nursing Homes (Mar. 11, 2020)
- FHCA Statement on Coronavirus (Mar. 2, 2020)