Florida’s elderly population is at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19, and keeping COVID-19 out of the long-term care (LTC) setting has been a major focus of Governor DeSantis, AHCA Secretary Mary Mayhew and other state public health leaders. Hospitals and LTC partnerships can play an important role in working to promote the implementation of strategies to prevent the transmission of COVID-19 in their facilities.
The Florida Health Care Association and Florida Hospital Association have partnered to support nursing centers and hospitals across the state through the Acute/Post-Acute Collaborative (APAC). The APAC goal is to build coalitions between acute and post-acute providers to strengthen those local and regional connections in an effort to prevent rapid spread of COVID-19, increase infection prevention and control (IPC) educational opportunities and share IPC best practices. The Acute/Post-Acute Collaborative (APAC) will include:
- Initial virtual meetings to connect nursing home administrators and hospital case managers, organized by local areas (see below);
- Best practice toolkits based on CDC guidance and Florida-specific care models;
- ICP and COVID-19 specific podcasts, webinars and other training opportunities; and
- Identifying APAC Ambassadors from both FHCA and FHA membership to support follow up.
APAC Virtual Meetings
APAC will begin with community and region-specific virtual meetings that offer a forum for hospitals and LTC providers to work together and to align with community coalitions to stop the spread of COVID-19. Virtual meetings will include discussion on:
- Background on the FHA/FHCA Partnership Initiative
- Community/Regional Specific COVID Data
- Group Discussion/Provider Feedback
- Working Together to Reduce Risk of COVID-19 Among Our Most Vulnerable Population
- Continuing the Partnership
Acute Care and Skilled Nursing Collaboration to Address COVID-19 Crisis: Group Discussion – Oct 27
FHA and FHCA will host a GROUP Discussion on Tuesday, Oct. 27, 2020, 12:00-12:45 p.m. ET for acute care and skilled nursing facilities to address the ongoing COVID-19 crisis. The goals of this collaboration are to prevent the rapid spread of COVID-19 via early risk factor identification, optimized infection prevention education and adoption of best practices. This collaboration also aims to build and strengthen regional/local relationships between hospitals and skilled nursing facilities.
Suggested topics/discussion items can be emailed by Oct. 21 to Sean MacNeil at FHA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please pre-register online at: https://cc.readytalk.com/r/el1lajzfspvr&eom (access details to join the live event will be sent via e-mail confirmation).